A Combined 100+ Years of Experience
The Nimes Real Estate team has a combined 100+ years of industry-related experience. Our expertise spans over multiple investment classes representing billions of dollars in projects with involvement in acquisition, financing, project renovation and redevelopment, operational management, asset management, financial operations, and dispositions. The diverse and complimentary skill sets, backgrounds and perspectives of the Nimes team coupled with its entrepreneurial spirit results in a boutique investment firm with an institutional-grade organization.
C.E.O & Founder
- ▹ Over his 30-year career, David Nazarian has established a consistent track record of identifying opportunities ahead of the pack, actively managing those investments and executing effective monetization strategies across a diverse range of investment classes and underlying industries. Mr. Nazarian's history as a visionary investor and business builder began with his active involvement in his family's early identification of the potential for wireless communications technology that ultimately became part of Qualcomm, Inc., one of the most successful corporations in the history of the telecommunications industry.
- ▹ Capitalizing on the success of Qualcomm, Mr. Nazarian focused on investment opportunities that could be utilized to diversify his family's holdings. Mr. Nazarian displayed his acumen and investment vision by orchestrating the roll up of aerospace equipment manufacturers during a trough period in a highly cyclical industry, acquiring vast holdings of real estate from the Resolution Trust Corporation in the early 1990s, and strategically investing in the hotel industry following the economic downturn in the early 2000s. Mr. Nazarian started three early-stage venture funds concentrated on wireless communication and broadband infrastructure businesses and backed highly-innovative clean technology companies. Most recently, Mr. Nazarian has acquired a portfolio of mid-sized operating companies and vast real estate holdings focused on multi-family and student housing assets. These efforts have resulted in Mr. Nazarian controlling an asset base of operating businesses and real estate that stretch across the Southern and Western United States.
- ▹ In addition to his business activities, Mr. Nazarian is extremely active in the greater Los Angeles community through a variety of civic and charitable activities. Mr. Nazarian is most proud of being honored by California State University, Northridge in 2014 with the renaming of its business school as the David Nazarian College of Business and Economics. Additionally, Mr. Nazarian has served as Chair of the Investment Committee and a member of the Board of Directors of the UCLA Foundation, is actively involved with the Board of Governors and Investment Committee for the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, and is a member of the USC Marshall School of Business Board of Leaders. Mr. Nazarian received his BS from CSUN and his MBA from the University of Southern California.
Director, Real Estate
- ▹ Utilizes his real estate investment and operations experience to build and oversee a growing and diverse portfolio of real estate assets.
- ▹ Over $1.5 billion of global real estate acquisition, development, and asset management experience.
- ▹ Previous experience includes Marathon Asset Management as part of the firm's private equity real estate team. During his time at Marathon, Mr. Chexal acquired, developed, and asset-managed multifamily, hospitality, office, retail, and for-sale residential investments in the U.S., India, Brazil, and Mexico.
- ▹ Began his career at JP Morgan, in the firm's real estate investment banking group. While at JP Morgan, he worked on over $2 billion of capital markets and M&A transactions.
- ▹ Prior experience includes VP of Corporate & Business Development at Counsyl, a successful and Silicon Valley start-up (acquired NASDAQ: MYGN).
- ▹ Received a BS from UCLA and a JD/MBA from the University of Chicago.
- ▹ Manages and oversees construction, renovation, repairs and maintenance for Nimes’ real estate operations.
- ▹ Vast experience in the various disciplines required to effectively manage the construction and renovation activities associated with a portfolio of real estate assets.
- ▹ Included amongst this experience is: remediation of underperforming ground-up hospital projects for Clark Construction; executing a bond-financed Capital Improvement Program for Swinerton Management & Consultants; and directly managing the real estate, new construction, renovations, facilities, supply chain and operations for Counsyl, a biotechnology firm.
- ▹ Has supported over $2 billion of construction projects in his career.
- ▹ Received a BA in Economics and MS in Civil & Environmental Engineering from Stanford University.
VP, Asset Management
- ▹ Manages and oversees all aspects of operations of multi-family and student housing assets via direct, hands-on oversight of third-party property managers.
- ▹ Has over a decade of property management experience for multiple portfolios with institutional owners across the Southern United States.
- ▹ Experience includes driving revenue growth for over $750 million in class-A and value-add assets by implementing best practices and utilizing his ability to diagnose and rectify operational inefficiencies in the front and back offices, facilities, and marketing.
- ▹ Earned a BA from Texas A&M University.
- ▹ Over 25 years of finance, development and investment experience
- ▹ Manages Nimes’ finance department, including: accounting, tax, internal & external reporting, treasury/cash management, risk management, asset management, and financial planning & analysis.
- ▹ Prior experience also includes: CFO of sbe where he provided strategic financial and operational oversight for its portfolio of hotels, restaurants and nightlife assets. Prior to sbe, he was a Senior Vice President of Lowe Enterprises Investors (portfolio manager responsible for asset management, portfolio management and structured finance of investments of a $1 billion portfolio), founding CFO of KOR Group a/k/a Viceroy Hotel Group (oversaw the company’s development of a portfolio of assets that included 3,200 multi-family units, various domestic and international real estate development projects and approximately 2,000 hotel rooms under management), VP of Planning and Analysis at Destination Hotel and Resorts, and management roles at Ernst & Young and ITT Sheraton Corporation.
- ▹ Holds an MBA from Pepperdine University and a BS in Accounting from Woodbury University.
- ▹ Responsibilities include tracking, reconciling and analyzing investments.
- ▹ Manages the treasury function including preparing cash flow projections and overseeing all banking activity.
- ▹ Worked in a similar capacity for a prominent Los Angeles family office for over 12 years.
- ▹ Received a BS in Psychology with a business emphasis from UCLA.
- ▹ Brings over 20 years of operational, financial and legal expertise to Nimes Real Estate.
- ▹ Oversees all aspects of business and legal affairs, including an active role in underwriting, structuring and monitoring Nimes’ investments.
- ▹ Previously was President and General Counsel of sbe which he joined in 2004 as the founding CFO and General Counsel. At sbe, was instrumental in managing the growth of the company from a nascent venture into a hospitality powerhouse and played a key role in the strategizing, structuring and oversight of more than $2 billion in projects.
- ▹ Other prior experience includes serving as Chief Operating Officer, CFO and General Counsel of a prominent Los Angeles-based production company and as an associate in the Los Angeles law offices of Pillsbury, Madison & Sutro, with a practice focusing on commercial litigation.
- ▹ Past Director of the Motion Picture Industry Pension and Health Plans (multi-employer benefit plans with approximately $4 billion in assets) and of Film L.A., Inc. where he also served as its Treasurer and Chairman of its Finance Committee.
- ▹ Earned a JD from the University of Michigan Law School and a BBA, with High Distinction, with a concentration in Finance from the University of Michigan's Stephen M. Ross School of Business.